Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> One other thing that I forgot in my earlier email: it's not actually
> clear why the database connections get "lost" in the current
> implementation. We close the connection too early, but when the template
> rendering needs to access the database, it just opens a new one (that is
> why everybody is seeing more opens than closes). However, the next time
> that thread or process is used, Django should be reusing the same
> connection, since it will still be open and we check for an existing
> connection before opening a new one.

In case of threads the old thread's connection can't be reused because
it is stored in thread.local() and a new thread is new thread. This
ad-hoc 'pooling' actually never worked AFAIR... And I suspect that at
least under Apache every new request results in a new Python thread both
with prefork and worker mpms.