On Wed 11 Jul 2007, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Peter Nixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > How can I debug this in a way that will provide the developers with more
> > usefull info?
>
> The best way to help us debug this would be to produce a minimal
> example that replicates the problem - that is, a standalone example
> that is as small as you can make it while still generating the
> problem.

> django-admin.py startproject testprj
> cd testprj/
testprj> python manage.py startapp testapp
testprj> vi settings.py
testprj> cat settings.py
# Django settings for testprj project.

DEBUG = True
TEMPLATE_DEBUG = DEBUG

ADMINS = (
    # ('Your Name', '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'),
)

MANAGERS = ADMINS

DATABASE_ENGINE = 'postgresql_psycopg2'
# 'postgresql_psycopg2', 'postgresql', 'mysql', 'sqlite3' or 'oracle'.
DATABASE_NAME = 'djangotest'             # Or path to database file if using
sqlite3.
DATABASE_USER = 'djangotest'             # Not used with sqlite3.
DATABASE_PASSWORD = 'djangotest'         # Not used with sqlite3.
DATABASE_HOST = '127.0.0.1'             # Set to empty string for localhost.
Not used with sqlite3.
DATABASE_PORT = ''             # Set to empty string for default. Not used
with sqlite3.

# Local time zone for this installation. Choices can be found here:
#
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datetime-keywords.html#DATETIME-TIMEZONE-SET-TABLE
# although not all variations may be possible on all operating systems.
# If running in a Windows environment this must be set to the same as your
# system time zone.
TIME_ZONE = 'America/Chicago'

# Language code for this installation. All choices can be found here:
# http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html#langcodes
# http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/stories/storyReader$15
LANGUAGE_CODE = 'en-us'

SITE_ID = 1

# If you set this to False, Django will make some optimizations so as not
# to load the internationalization machinery.
USE_I18N = True

# Absolute path to the directory that holds media.
# Example: "/home/media/media.lawrence.com/"
MEDIA_ROOT = ''

# URL that handles the media served from MEDIA_ROOT. Make sure to use a
# trailing slash if there is a path component (optional in other cases).
# Examples: "http://media.lawrence.com";, "http://example.com/media/";
MEDIA_URL = ''

# URL prefix for admin media -- CSS, JavaScript and images. Make sure to use
# trailing slash.
# Examples: "http://foo.com/media/";, "/media/".
ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX = '/media/'

# Make this unique, and don't share it with anybody.
SECRET_KEY = '[EMAIL PROTECTED])gpbuao&[EMAIL PROTECTED]()[EMAIL PROTECTED]'

# List of callables that know how to import templates from various sources.
TEMPLATE_LOADERS = (
    'django.template.loaders.filesystem.load_template_source',
    'django.template.loaders.app_directories.load_template_source',
#     'django.template.loaders.eggs.load_template_source',
)

MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES = (
    'django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
    'django.middleware.doc.XViewMiddleware',
)

ROOT_URLCONF = 'testprj.urls'

TEMPLATE_DIRS = (
    # Put strings here, like "/home/html/django_templates"
or "C:/www/django/templates".
    # Always use forward slashes, even on Windows.
    # Don't forget to use absolute paths, not relative paths.
)

INSTALLED_APPS = (
    'django.contrib.auth',
    'django.contrib.contenttypes',
    'django.contrib.sessions',
    'django.contrib.sites',
    'testprj.testapp',
)

testprj> vi testapp/models.py
testprj> cat testapp/models.py
from django.db import models

class Test(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(maxlength=200)
    class Admin:
        pass

testprj> python manage.py syncdb  --verbosity=2
Aborted

I am using the following software versions:
> cat /etc/SuSE-release
openSUSE 10.3 (i586) Alpha5
VERSION = 10.3
> rpm -q postgresql-server
postgresql-server-8.2.4-5
> rpm -q python
python-2.5.1-12
> rpm -q python-psycopg2
python-psycopg2-2.0.6-2.5
> rpm -q python-django-snapshot
python-django-snapshot-5646-1

Please note that I am using a clean SVN check to build the django package. It
does NOT include my BIGINT patch or anything else non-standard.

Regards

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/