On 7/17/07, Manoj Govindan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Given the (admittedly uncommon) "select only" nature of the app, I
> think my statement accurately reflects my need.

You think. For the moment. Until one day, something subtle changes in
the implementation of get_foobar() which _does_ change data, and the
change is made by someone that didn't get the memo from 2 years ago
that said that the app must not change data, etc ...

In testing, confidence comes before convenience. Using the approach I
describe, I can _guarantee_ that crossover effects will not get
through. Your approach _might_ catch them, but only _if_ everyone
remembers to obey the rules. That's a few too many conditions for my
taste.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)