What I mean is:
1. fetching sub-objects which are declared as ForeignKey(null=True).
ForeignKey(null=False) sub-objects are already fetched by
select_related().
2. fetching sub-objects declared as ManyToManyField() in a principal
object. These objects are not fetched by select_related().

One often iterates over these sub-objects, or as least, I do, and that
spawns a lot of sub-queries per object, which in turn creates
performance issues. Pre-fetching these nested sub-objects would
alleviate my, but I guess also other people's performance problem. And
I'll keep away from custom SQL.

JJ.