On 7/21/07, jeffself <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How do I get the season to
> display in the select box of my season field on the Game form?
> Normally this would be fixed by using def __unicode__(self) but since
> its not a CharField, I can't use that.  I tried def __integer__(self)
> but that didn't make a difference.

You were on the right track with __unicode__().

__unicode__ is the instructions to Python as to how to produce a
human-readable representation of this object (in unicode). I'm
guessing what you tried was:

def __unicode__(self):
   return self.year

which failed. This failed because what you are returning is an
integer, not a unicode string, so when the return value is combined
with other strings it raises an error. However, if you make a slight
change to convert the year into a string before it is returned:

def __unicode__(self):
   return unicode(self.year)

Everything should work nicely. You can even get creative, and add in
other bits of text:

def __unicode__(self):
   return unicode(self.year) + u" Season"

So that what gets display isn't just a year, but "1999 Season".

Hope this helps.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)