  From: James McManus
  To: django-users@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 12:35 PM
  Subject: mod_python problem?

  I am having two problems using django on an Apache server, with mod_python.
The first problem I found a solution, but it may be causing other problems. In
mysite/urls.py I am not able to use the ^ in:

  (r^'polls/', include(' mysite.polls.urls')),

  It causes a 404 error. I do not have this problem when I use the django
server. If I remove ^ in:

  (r'polls/', include('mysite.polls.urls')),

  I do not get the error. In the mysite/polls/urls.py I use the ^ in:

  (r'^(?P<poll_id>\d+)/vote/$', 'vote'),

  and I do not get the 404 error. My mod_python setting in httpd are:

  <Location "/mysite/">
      SetHandler python-program
      PythonPath "['/var/www/django/'] + sys.path"
      PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
      SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE mysite.settings
      PythonDebug On
  </Location>

  These setting appear to work, except for the one variation in mysite/urls.py.
All functions in admin are working, and I am able to get to the point of voting
in polls. However, that is where the second problem occurs. When I vote using
the django server the url changes from:

  http://localhost:8080/mysite/polls/8/

  http://localhost:8080/polls/8/results/

  and I get the expected results. If I vote without making a selection, the
following url appears:

  http://localhost:8080/polls/8/vote/

  and the page produces the expected message: You didn't select a choice.
However, if I try voting using the mod_python server I get the vote url,
without mysite:

  http://www.aratasystems.com/polls/8/vote/

  and the message: The requested URL /polls/8/vote/ was not found on this
server.

  Also when I use the django server I am able to drop mysite and use urls:

  http://localhost:8080/polls/
  http://localhost:8080/admin/

  But if drop mysite when using the mod_python server, I get the "requested
URL" message. I have attempted to modify the mod_python setting in httpd, but
in all cases it ends up producing errors in both the django and mod_python
servers. Is there a way I can modify my httpd setting to prevent these
problems? Or can I deal with this by changing code in mysite?

  Thanks
  Jim