> Any special reasons debian based installs are better than
> fedora based ones?

I can't say there should be any sort of major difference once
meta-package programs were instituted for dependency tracking.
My understanding is that Yum may do this sort of thing.

I tried Red Hat early in the game and grew frustrated with the
"yes, RPMs install easily, but you have to track down each
dependency individually and install it first" nature of it.
However, that was 5-10 years ago (around RH v5 through v8)...I've
just never tried an RPM-based distro since then.  If I wanted
dependency-tracking headaches, I'd build everything from source :)

As long as you can tell your distro "install these things I care
about and install any requisite dependencies you might need to in
order to get there", it doesn't really matter.

-tim