On 10/1/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maintaining information in more than one place is a burden. We are all
> volunteers. Ergo, we try to keep the effort required to maintain stuff
> to a minimum. The reason I made the point that all of this information
> is available via Google is because it means there is already a one-stop
> point for finding this stuff. You type a reasonably sensible query in,
> spend a few minutes reading the top few links and you're away.

I won't comment on most of this discussion, but I'll add to this
point. Something I consider to be a cornerstone of Django development
(and perhaps open source in general) is this: if you'd like to see
something done, go ahead and do it. As Malcolm rightly states, this
information is freely available, as is all the information in Trac.
Both sources also offer RSS feeds to pull in new updates. If you'd
like a one-stop information resource tying all of this together, by
all means, write one. Django would actually make that a fairly easy
task, I expect.

You may well argue that it shouldn't be your responsibility, and that
it should be taken on by the project administrators. But set aside,
for a moment, the issue of who *should* do it, and at least realize
that it can in fact be done without any approval or blessing from
anyone. And yes, I know it wouldn't be a fully automated process, and
that somebody would have to babysit the information and make the
appropriate links. The manual portion of it is part of the reason the
core developers haven't seen fit to take it on.

One way to look at it is this: Would you rather we aggregate
information or write code? It's clear we can't do both simultaneously
with much success, so we have to pick one or the other. I, for one,
choose to write code, but there are probably others who would love to
devote time to something like this. If that's the case, by all means,
find them and get it started. The information's out there. If it's not
available the way you'd like it, by all means do something about that.
Don't just complain that nobody else is doing so.

-Gul