I am looking at this documentation:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/templates_python/#parsing-until-another-block-tag-and-saving-contents

It has the following code:
output = self.nodelist.render(context)
        return output.upper()

upper() in output.upper(), I am assuming is the name of the template
tag.  When I try to do it as in this example, I get an error:

Exception Type:         AttributeError
Exception Value:        'unicode' object has no attribute
'custom_format_string1'

If I comment out #return output.custom_format_string2() and just do it
like this, it works:

#return output.custom_format_string1()
return output

I didn't understand the output.upper() part.  I think the
documentation above is written for people who already know how the
template tag works, it doesn't do any good for beginners.