I am in the planning stage of creating a Django media player. It is
intended for a small group of users, but still anticipating a lot of
bandwidth usage both upload and download as this is an MP3 repository
with a web frontend.

There is a lively discussion on an interesting upcoming feature of
Django called FileStorage. This will allow any sort of file storage
mechanism to plug into FileFields and process uploads. A good example
would be Amazon's S3 where a FileStorage module would handle the
authentication and HTTP's for S3 and supply callables like
get_FIELD_filename to Django. Awesome stuff and I hope my
understanding is correct : )

In the Django book the author mentions NFS as a solution for separate
media servers. This is a quick and easy method where you mount a magic
directory which pipes everything to a separate server running nignx or
a smilar purpose built environment. I'll be hosting the file server on
a home fiber optics cable with decent upload and the Django app will
be on a slice host optimized for Django. Are there limitations to NFS
and/or is it recommended for local mapping only? I've read that NFS is
an ancient standard and not very good or suited for these purposes.
Has anyone used SSH mappings between servers for such uses?
Paramiko[1] looks like a very nice and secure framework for SSH
connections within Python apps. Could Paramiko be a stone's throw away
from an SSH FileField in Django once we have the FileStorage framework
to play with?

A bit vague here I know. As I said just gathering a feeling for what's
being done in other Django projects to reach these ends.

1: http://www.lag.net/paramiko/