I've just moved my media to a separate server.  I run an rsync over
ssh whenever a user uploads a new profile image.  Seems to work ok so
far.

The pain points are:
1)  Setting up ssh keys so this can run unattended.
2)  Because of (1), I had to run apache as a new user that has the
right permissions, and not the "apache" user.

I'm dealing with relatively small files compared to what you will be
dealing with, so I don't know if this is the right solution for you.

Udi
http://feedeachother.com/