I've tracked it down to something similar to this:
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5530#comment:1

The ImportError that is been raised on
http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/django/db/backends/mysql/base.py#L20
is causing the session error. It probably should be changed also to a
raise ImproperlyConfigured so the error is reported correctly: For
some reason the FastCGI process was using the outdated version the
server has instead of 1.2.2 that I had installed (even though it is on
sys.path).

Thanks for your help.