I have had two small Django sites running on asmallorange shared
hosting for more thane a year.  It took quite some time to get working
in the shared environment, but then worked ok.  The server reposne to
the first hit on the site is slow to respond, but then ok.  I just
recently moved to a VPS account on linode.com, and am very happy so
far with performance and low cost for a VPS option ($20/month).