If you don't already use them:

Firebug:
http://www.getfirebug.com/
will show you how long each component of the page takes from request to
response and shows you what components are returned in parallel (among
other really cool features).  This can help identify your bottleneck.
For example, if your images are taking longer than expected while the
page itself returns quickly then you may want to serve images with a
dedicated web server, like lighttpd.

Yahoo's 'yslow' tool gives your page a 'grade' and offers advice on how
to improve your grade.  It also has other handy bits (JSLint, Empty vs.
Primed cache comparisons).
http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/

The grades are based on their 'Rules for High Performance Websites':
http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/index.html#rules

Hm, funny, their yslow page scores a 'D' :)