On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 23:29 +0100, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
> I have two question regarding get_absolute_url:
>
> 1) I have the template code:
>
> {% for entry in object_list %}
> <h3><a href="{{ entry.get_absolute_url }}"> {{ entry.title }}</a></h3>
> {% endfor %}
>
> It's called from a .generic.list_detail.object_list. My
> get_absolute_url is implemented in my model:
>
> class BlogEntry(Model):
>       def get_absolute_url(self):
>               return self.id
>
> but the link in the template is always http://localhost:8000/blog/
> where blog is my application name and which is also the URL used to
> get to the template above. I can even return anything (like a constant
> string) but it's not being taken into account, the link is also the
> same. What is wrong there?
>
> 2) As the name says get_absolute_url should always return a absolute
> URL (which I understand is a complete URL). Is there a standard way to
> produce such a URL? For example I need to my server (here is localhost:
> 8000) and the path to application (blog/).

I'm not sure what's going on with the first point. I'd try raising an
exception in that method, though, or writing out to sys.stderr, just to
confirm the method is actually being called without error.

With regards to your second question, the name is a little bit of a
misnomer, resulting from a misunderstanding in the prehistoric days of
Django. Changing it would cause massive upheaval, so we can live with
the misnaming. The scheme ("http" or "https") and site domain name will
be appended to the front of whatever get_absolute_url() returns, so you
need to return everything after the domain name (starting with a slash).
So, it's not really 'absolute'.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Telepath required. You know where to apply...
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/