On Jan 22, 6:18 pm, Carl Karsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Carl Karsten wrote:
> > symlinks.  I use them. I bet the default is for Apache not to follow them.
> > that
> > could be my problem.  or at least one of them.
>
> > That is enough to start a wiki page.
>
> > I am going to divide it into rumors and confirmed rumors.  Anyone have some
> > rumors for me to post?
>
> If so, please dump them here.
>
> http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/devserver_and_apache_differences

The differences have been dealt with before. See:

http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_frm/thread/24deb095a2b2e450/f8e703bbb96e9e88?lnk=gst&q=Graham+setup_environ+PythonPath#f8e703bbb96e9e88

Your page is just making things more confusing. The dev server has
nothing to do with PythonPath, you probably mean sys.path, but it is
more complicated that you know as explained in referenced post.

Also, whether Apache follows symlinks has got nothing to do with it.
That aspect of Apache only comes into play when serving static files
or you have script files in the directories directly served by Apache,
neither of which apply to Django unless you so happen to have also
configured Apache to serve up the Django media files which your
configuration does not show you are doing.

If you want a list of the things that can come up when using Apache,
you are better off reading:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ApplicationIssues

This is for mod_wsgi, but lots of the issues such as file access
permissions etc etc, also apply to mod_python.

You may also want to read:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/IntegrationWithDjango

which explicitly mentions the need to add both the site and site
parent directory to sys.path (through whatever means), if you
reference stuff not through the site name.

Graham