> 2. file uploads are the most vital part of freesound. While I have used
> tramline successfully with splice, it still feels like a relatively ugly
> solution to me (especially as you need to patch mod_python in order for
> it to work). As far as I know streaming file uploads have been on the
> todo for more than a year.

This is not about streaming, but maybe it helps someone :

I had trouble with FileField, too. But then I realized, that I don't need
it. What does it offer? Only the filename is stored in the database. If you
want to store N files for an object, you need to create a new table/model.

I use this: Every object has a corresponding directory in the filesystem:
.../files/OBJECT-ID/

I store the files there. The filename get's quoted with
django.utils.http.urlquote() this way the filenames contain only ascii
characters.

 Thomas