> Which - as expected - creates a multi-select box with the appropriate
> cars. Problem is, when the user selects one the form validation kicks
> it out, saying it is not a valid choice. If I don't use the custom
> widget everything is fine, other than it showing cars it shouldn't.
>
> What am I missing here?

Assign your choices to the ChoiceField.  The Field class is what does
the validation, not the widget.  By passing them into just the widget
they are displaying, but not in the Fields 'approved' list.

On your second post, maybe you could make a clean_sites method that
checks settings.SITE_ID for validation.