I use eclipse + pydev. Eclipse is a memory hungry monster( it's java
based after all), but in my opinion its still the best free and open
IDE out there. And its platform independent which is a double extra
plus for eclipse.

I see no use for a dedicated django plugin. Any python supporting IDE
should work fine. Try some different IDEs and see which one fits your
personal requirements best.

By the way the _free_ eclipse/pydev debugger works like a treat with
django.