On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 6:40 AM, jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  1 vote for SPE, aka Stanis Python Editor.
So far many editors/IDEs have been put on the table here, let me remind you:

Free as in freedom:
* OpenKomodo
* UliPad
* PIDA
* Eric
* Boa Constructor
* Eclipse + Pydev
* Kate
* Geany
* SPE
* Vim
* PyPE

Non-free:
* Komodo
* Textmate (mac only)
* Coda (mac only)
* Aptana Studio (What about the eclipse plugin? Has anyone tried it?
Is it good?)
* Wingware

Netbeans was also mentioned, but not really suggested, that's why
didn't make it in this list. I think the best rated so far is
Eclipse+Pydev.

But (as I see it) the question is, what should we expect from a
"django-capable" IDE? What does "django support" mean? What is not
(entirely) supported by any IDE so far?

It seems that every nice IDE out there supports code completion and
syntax highlighting, but it would be nice to have some other features.
What comes to my mind is something like loading the framework and the
settings.py if I tell the IDE to run the file I'm editing. I see that
there are a world of different feelings about excellent pieces of
software, but in my opinion we should discuss which makes a difference
when it comes to django. At the end is up to the developer, if it
doesn't "feel right", he/she won't use it no matter the features.

I hope no one finds this email offensive, I'm just trying to get a
conclusion from this "hot" topic that's been coming up frecuently
between django developers.

Cheers! =)

AlvAro

"You can't change the world, but you can change your mind."
Software Libre: El conocimiento no puede tener dueño.