> I guess by "bug" I meant that
>
> synchronizing, by its nature involves making two disparate things
> congruent.
>
> syncdb does not do that.

Well, it does, up to the part that 'it' (the writers) feels confident
about: it synchronizes the database globally with newly added models;
indeed not per table.
The bug would be mostly in the name then, but I guess
'create_new_tables_for_new_models_only' was a bit too unwieldy. And
perhaps a future release would be able to have this (probably much
wanted) additional feature.
Other people should be able to elaborate on that.