Julien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're using SVN between several developers to work on the same project
> and it's working quite well. But it's not as simple concerning the
> database.
>
> Each of us has a local database to muck around with, and if one of us
> makes a change in the models that implies modifying the database
> manually (e.g. renaming a field, changing the type or the field, etc.)
> that developer has to inform all others of the changes so they all
> make the change manually on their own local database.
>
> Having a common database would avoid that, but that's not ideal since
> an online database would be slower to access, and it could quickly go
> out of control if many people add records or change the database
> structure at the same time.
>
> So, I just wanted to get some advice from you as to what is the best
> approach to go?

Not sure if it's quite an answer to your question, but I've been dealing
with a similar problem which is how to keep the test data I've added to
the system between (mostly minor) changes to the database. The approach
I've taken is as follows:

- before making any changes use 'mysqldump -c -n -t databasename -p >
dumpfile.sql' to dump the data only from the database, with column names
included.
- then clear the database using ./manage.py sqlclear
- then change the model in models.py
- then recreate the database structure using ./manage.py syncdb
- then re-import the data using 'mysql -p -f databasename <
dumpfile.sql' (try first without -f to check for errors).

This seems to work pretty well for minor changes - e.g. making a field
allow nulls, or adding a new non-relational field.

andy.