Django Fans,

I'd like to second most of Rob's questions.  While pondering some of the
same questions I came across his post and didn't see a reply.

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Rob Hudson wrote:

> How's the stability and/or "readiness" of newforms-admin?

I've just recently converted a web site I act as webmaster for to Django.
I'll probably be switching the live site to the Django version very
shortly, as soon as a few more club members check over the Django version.

I've hardly done anything with the admin interface yet.  The existing site
basically has no web based admin interface.  Most data entry is handled by
command line scripts and/or console TUI based applications.  On the new
Django version of the site I've activated the admin interface for a couple
of models and performed some minor customization such as list_display,
search_fields, etc., to get a feel for the admin functionality.

With the help of the HowTo on the wiki I downloaded(checked out) the
newforms-admin branch and converted what I had done so far to it, which
just took a matter of minutes.  The more I dig into Django's documentation
the more impressed I'm becoming with it.

Anyway, at this point I'm wondering if it's "safe" to go ahead and stick
with the newforms-admin branch or if I should wait until it's merged into
trunk and convert at that time.  Does the newforms-admin branch keep up
with the non-admin changes/new features happening in trunk?

Another branch that sounds like it might be very useful is the
RowLevelPermissions branch.  Right now I handle all the updates to the
website I'm working on.  Some day I'd like to give club members the
ability to update their own info.  Obviously not all club members should
be allowed to update other members' stuff.

> * Add in completely new admin functionality like a 3 step process for
> creating a newsletter that gets sent to all users who are newsletter
> subscribers.

Hummm, our club also has a newsletter.  Right now I type it up in LaTeX,
run it through pdflatex, and e-mail it out to club members as a pdf
attachment.

> * Add a duplicate an existing record feature, preferably a link from
> the detail page.  The duplication process will grab just a few fields
> that we've determined and pre-populate them on an add page.

That's a feature I might also need.

> Since newforms-admin will one day replace the current admin my thought
> was to go ahead and dive into it now to save the trouble of duplicating
> the effort when it lands on trunk.

That's what I'm considering also.  I'd like to hear experienced
Djangoists' thoughts on which route is the best to take for a new project.
I've already decided to go with trunk over the latest release because of
some of the new features, such as the new pagination functionality.  Now
I'm wondering if I should choose the newforms-admin branch over trunk.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX