On 14 Apr., 13:12, "James Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Waldemar Kornewald
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  I agree that you can't always reuse those media files, but why does
> >  that mean there shouldn't be an easy (automatic) way to serve media
> >  files?
>
> Because Django should have nothing whatsoever to do with your media
> files. That's a path you just don't want to go down, and the only way
> to avoid it is to force the up-front separation of dynamic and static
> content.

I never said that static media should *always* be served through
Django. For instance, my code only serves it if you execute "manage.py
runserver". That could be documented, so everyone understands that on
the production server they'll have to add Apache/lighttpd media
serving.

Or let me say it this way: With up-front separation, isn't almost
every developer going to add media serving via static.serve, manually?
I mean, if you use runserver on your local machine then you have
almost no alternative. Well, except for running an Apache instance in
the background that serves those media files from the checked-out
repository. But I wouldn't call that a real alternative.

Why should we make it more difficult than necessary to have the
*development* environment (runserver and testserver) set up?

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald