I'm using the __init__() method in a few models to save state for
later use in save(), e.g.::

    class MyModel(models.Model):
        def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
            super(MyModel, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
            self.old_value = self.value
        def save(self):
            if self.old_value != self.value:
            super(MyModel, self).save()

But that functionality seems to have broken in the last week. It
appears that __init__() isn't be called (as often?) as it used to. I'm
on the GIS branch and it seems to have broken on r7482 (qs-rf merge).

I'm on deadline this week, and don't have much time to play with a
small test app on trunk, but I use this technique in other projects,
so I was wondering if this method an ok way to check for changes
between model saves and there's a bug somewhere, or am I doing
something fragile that should be done another way?

- whiteinge