Daniel Strasser wrote:
This is a bit confusing for me, because for me,
development versions are - yeah - for developers. And I'm not
(yet?) :-) a Django core developer.
The development version of django is basically the latest stable, 0.96, plus lots and lots and lots of bugfixes, feature additions, etc. With that come some backwards incompatible API changes. You don't need to be a core developer to use the development version. There are plenty of enhancements that make it worth while. :)
Is it recommended to use the development version for a project that
starts now (or in a week ;-))
By my personal recommendation, absolutely!

The development version is much closer to 1.0 than 0.96. It would be easier to develop your new code against trunk: it will be that much easier to make the transition to 1.0.

Have fun!

Jeff Anderson