On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Andre Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> thanks Jeff
>
> yes, i had found this method of having django serve static content, too, and
> know it is not ideal.
>
> what i want is different: use apache for serving the static content at the
> root of the site (defind in settings.py and urls.py) and have a couple of
> django apps which are accessible just with simple paths. the urls are what
> disturbs me, because i cannot get anything from just http://mysite.org/, but
> instead need to access http://mysite.org/myproject.
>
> again, the non-functional code (raises "TemplateDoesNotExist at
> /static/index.html" in views):
>
> urls.py
>
> urlpatterns = patterns('myproject.views',
>     (r'^$', 'home')
>
> views.py
>
> def home(request):
>     return render_to_response('static/index.html')
>
> maybe use something like
>     return HttpResponse('/static/index.html')
> but how?

Hi Andre,

You'll need to set this up in your apache configuration, and the part
that deals with serving static files is going to be independent of any
django code or settings.

You just need to change the DocumentRoot of your site to the "static"
directory where your index.html is located.  It sounds like you've
already got django set up to serve the "myproject" directories, so
you're pretty close.  Don't know how apache setup works at WebFaction,
but if you're having trouble you should post the relevant sections
from your apache configuration (if possible).

A quick read over the apache docs will explain this much more
thourghly than I did :)  If there's one concept to take away, remember
that if apache's serving a static file, apache handles absolutely
every step of the process, and if python/django got involved in any
way you'd lose the performance benefit of serving directly from from
apache.

Colin