thanks a lot, Colin, i will contact the WebFaction guys for the apache
setup. they are always very helpful ;-)

HOWEVER: for testing purposes only, using only runserver and sqlite, how to
preceed for making this work?

*http://localhost:8000/ <http://mysite.com/>    --> static/index.html (NOT a
template)
*http:// <http://mysite.com/myapp1>localhost:8000
<http://mysite.com/>myapp1<http://mysite.com/myapp1>   -->
myapp1/index.html (a template)
http:// <http://mysite.com/myapp2>localhost:8000
<http://mysite.com/>/myapp2<http://mysite.com/myapp2>   -->
myapp2/index.html (a template)
http:// <http://mysite.com/myapp2>localhost:8000
<http://mysite.com/>/admin<http://mysite.com/myapp2>   --> the admin
interface

how to get the first url work with runserver? i can only get it to render a
template, but not server up an html file from the static directory.

thanks again
André