It certainly looks to me like it is a client and not a server problem.  Have
you tried running the development server on the mac and accessing it with
that exact same install of Safari?  Have you tried accessing the site from a
different mac with safari?

As a next step in tracing the error I'd install wireshark or a similar tool
and look at exactly what HTTP traffic passes between Safari and Django -
this would probably reveal for certain whether it's the server or the client
messing up.

Hope that helps,
  /Emil