I guess it depends on what you mean by "client related". If Safari is the
only browser exhibiting this behavior I think it's safe to assume that the
web server is doing OK. This assumption is only strengthened by the fact
that only a change of the name the server is accessed through changes the
behavior of the browser.

Your guess about DNS vs. hosts-file seems reasonable to me, and the reason
Safari is different could be because it uses a different resolver library. I
guess it interprets the cookie as a third-party cookie when accessed through
a name defined in the hosts file or something like that.

It's not really surprising that it works with other browsers, since it
really should work. Obviously, Safari is misbehaving here, so I still don't
really see how you can say it isn't client related (although it could
possibly be fixed by using a proper DNS entry instead of using the hosts
file).

  /Emil