My sense is that comet is tied to the use of iFrames.  From my limited
knowledge of iFrames, they are falling from favour with less w3c
support and are the key to some security exploits.

Is that a fair assessment?  The extra Orbited server also makes me
hesitate...  Simplicity and all that.  But the real-time like
capability does sound attractive. My concerns are more scalability
(thousands of users?) and longevity.

R.