Thanks for the thoughtful replies Scott. Client-side request
orchestration is where I see myself headed.  Your list of concerns is
resonates with my concerns about the barriers on this as well.

To be thorough I've been exploring the idea from both server side and
client side, and the client side does seem to offer the attractive
element of avoiding network-based disruption form long http sessions.
I'll have to read up more on HTTP keep-alive approaches.  I'm not sure
how consistent browsers are in their response to  and I'd like my
solution to work broadly on the obvious 3 browsers anyway.  And I
wonder about proxy servers and NAT behaviour - perhaps its
transparent, but I'll have to dig into that a bit.

Thanks though for your thoughts on a path forward.

Ross.