I don't think that is true, the only time I needed root was when I was
symlinking django into /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ but since you
can put it anywhere on your python path, you just need to symlink it
somewhere that's on your path and doesn't require root, since you need
a location like this to run any python software this doesn't seem like
an issue to me.