Tim,

It is possible to get django running without root access but you will
need certain levels of permissions to do things like adding libraries to
the python path, there are guides to installing Django on shared hosting
environments like dreamhost where they don't give you root - though they
do give you more access than the average shared host might.

My personal feelings are that if you're trying to do things properly
you're going to want complete control over your server config and access
to services like memcached. Whilst you can get Django running on a range
of hosting solutions I can't see myself doing anything more than a
simple blog without looking into a VPS or dedicated server with root access.

Regards,
Andrew Ingram