How do you start / stop / restart your webserver? If you are using fastcgi,
you may not have it set up to give you an error log.

I have a script that starts / stops it, and I have specified and error log
for the django web server logs, and sent any errors with my script commands
to a file so that if it doesn't work I can see why:

python ./manage.py runfcgi [...] errlog=/path/to/weblog >> runfcgi_errors
2>&1

Em