I'm new to Django, and have played with Python for a few years on and
off (not a real programmer).  I'm keen to use Django to explore some
data because of its custom data models which I plan to rely on
extensively (putting the complex code there).

Try as I might, I can't see how to get them to work.  I can get the
fields from the database to display in the html created by the
render_to_response() function, but the custom fields do not compute
and display.  They come out empty. I'm also struggling how to get
access to the data inside of Python to enable data handling by other
Python code.  For example, when I issue a "print mvalues[0]" in the
example below, I get all the fields for the first record of the
database returned, but I don't the custome fields, which I expected.
My guess is I have to some other code format, but I don't see examples
for this in "The Definitive Guide to django" by Holovaty and Kaplan-
Moss.

Example: The data model-

class Tmeetings(models.Model):
        Date = models.DateTimeField(null=True, blank=True)
        Speaker = models.CharField(blank=True, max_length=150)
        Venue = models.CharField(blank=True, max_length=150)
        Cost = models.FloatField(null=True, blank=True)

        def __str__(self):
                return '%s, %s' % (self.Date, self.Speaker)

        def test (self):
                return self.Speaker+self.Venue

        class Meta:
                db_table = 'tmeetings'

        class Admin: pass

Example: The test template file mtg_summary.html

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" ></head>

Example: The Problem (code snippet)

>>>from django.shortcuts import render_to_response
>>>from soc.models import Tmeeting
>>>m_values=Members.objects.values()
>>> print render_to_response('mtg_summary.html',mvalues[0])

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title> </title>