Oh, I should have seen that coming. (That's the bad thing when you
write code without testing it yourself... something is often missed
:-)

This should fix the error you got:

import StringIO
from django.core.files import File
f = StringIO.StringIO()
f.name, f.mode = 'data.xml', 'r'
f.write(data)
myfile = File(f)
Chart.objects.create(xml=default_storage.save(f.name, myfile))

However, Marty's solution seems a lot nicer. Did that not work? I've
never done anything like what I've shown you - it was more or less a
straight guess as to how it might work. Marty's solution looks a lot
more correct and a lot cleaner too. Perhaps you should be trying to
make that work instead?

Tim ^,^