On Aug 28, 8:53 pm, julianb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I tried several things, I think Marty's solution was among them. It
> did not throw errors, but the file I got was 0 bytes. I will try again
> and check if I made a mistake or so...

Okay, I solved the puzzle. The following works:

big = StringIO.StringIO() # you have a StringIO
image.save(big, "JPEG", quality=70) # write something to the StringIO
# Photo is a model that has an image field
photo = Photo(user=creator)
# use getvalue because ContentFile just needs content
big_file = ContentFile(big.getvalue())
# use save method of image field, no other function!
photo.data.save("%s.jpg" % name, big_file)