Is there a pressing need to do this?

I think the design decision here was that serving image files to users is
something that web-servers will be able to do with much less overhead.
If you need to perform image manipulation on the fly, maybe have a look at
sorl.thumbnail (http://code.google.com/p/sorl-thumbnail/), which gives you a
lot of the power of the Python Imaging Library within a template tag, while
leaving your image data on the file-system.

Ludwig