Since you're asking about the need, let me bring you an example:

(images and documents are both just files so we can discuss storing
files in the database not just images)

I have a bunch of documents that my customer can upload through the
admin interface. He can then assign read permissions to the documents.
The problem with files lying around on the disk is that it's hard to
forbid access to them once people know the URL to them. I could use
UNIX permissions to solve this and write a view that returns file
data, but then we'd be back to the same overhead problem you were
mentioning.

Erik