Thanks for the quick reply.

I reinstalled Django using 'python setup.py install' and the problem
has disappeared.  Previously I installed Django by running 'python
setup.py build' and then manually copying the Django directory created
under the build/ directory to another directory in my Python path (not
the usual site-packages/). That must have been causing the problem.