Russ,

Well, as you can tell from my initial post, this was my initial
concept. However, you seem to be proposing to launch nosetests from
the 'manage.py test' execution rather than directly from the command
line. Am I reading you right? Hadn't considered that option. Not sure
how much effort it would be so will have to dig into nosetests source
to determine. Seems a bit complex at first glance, however.

thanx,

  -- Ben

PS: Meanwhile for the specific model in question, I have moved the
fixtures under the test directory itself and have the unit test class
explicitly load those fixtures so my monkey-patch can happen prior to
the fixture load. Not a general solution but works for now.