To clarify the question a bit more, I am talking about an "app" in the
sense of a reusable component that is developed by me but want
to distribute for others to use.

James is right that for any of my own app, I can just tell the user
to put in some settings in the project level settings.py file. In fact
that is exactly what I do now. However that does not buy me the
feature where, for django's own apps, have their default settings
stored in global_settings.py (or whatever is the file's name). So
I need to test for and supply default if my user does not supply
a settings value. Meanwhile the django built in settings mechanism
has a very nice way to specify defaults -- which is what I like
to "Reuse".

P.K.