I think this provides a significant barrier to those trying to adopt
the language. While those that are used to mailing lists are fond of
them I don't think the general development public is nearly as
infatuated. People that might consider switching to Django from, say,
PHP or ASP.NET will probably find the lack of forums just another
hurdle in adopting a platform which is intimidating from the outside.

Personally, I detest the mail list format. There are forums out there
that aren't all about signatures and annoying avatars, Vanilla is
something that comes to mind. It's all about the presentation.

Anyway, my point being that the lack of a familiar forum-type
environment to post questions is a deterrent to adoption.

2c.