I do keep reading the Django book + DjangoDocs of the same topic at
the moment.
As first one is easier to read, the second one represents 1.0 version
better.
Also always check the DjangoBook's comment's - most of deprecated
features are mentioned there
and updated with more recent ones.

Anyway, can't wait for 2nd edition of DjangoBook :)
BTW, has anyone tried Python Web Development with Django  http://is.gd/7Tni,
which, it seems,
offers the examples suitable for 1.0?

good luck,