Hi Malcolm,
thanks for your response.

> I don't have any solution to your problem. I don't use Windows, so I
> have no idea what the fix might be (well, I do, but "for the love of all
> that is decent, stop using Windows!" sounds like an option you would
> have already considered). But if you do find a solution, it would be
> interesting to know what it is. Working smoothyl on all our supported
> platforms is the goal, so if there's some way we can work around this,
> we should do it.

Of course I would be moving away from Windows if I could (prefer Mac
OS and Linux), but the problem here is that I'm developing a system
talking to a huge legacy database in MS SQL on Windows, and I run a
sample copy on it on my Windows laptop together with Apache and
Django. The server environment is on an Ubuntu server with Django and
Apache, talking to the MS SQL server.

The peculiar thing is that this problem appeared suddenly on monday
morning, with no apparent reason, more than updating to latest version
of Django from the CVS. (I may also have tampered with some code last
weekend, but forgotten. Did some experiments with comma-formatted
float output to MS Excel, but have commented away that code as far as
I can see.)

Do you happen to know if there was some changes made to the template
engine at the end of last week? As I told you, I tried to revert the
Django version from the CVS, but the problem prevails.

> Django doesn't call setlocale() itself and it would be a little tricky
> to do so (it affects the locale for all threads in that process, which
> could well lead to interesting behaviour on a multipthreaded Apache
> setup, for example).

OK, but would that effect the Django template engine?

> It sounds like your diagnosis is correct. That is, float() is trying to
> operate in a Swedish locale. I know that libraries like GLib have their
> own "parse a float" function that emulates the C library's float() but
> without taking locale into effect. Maybe we will end up having to do the
> same. Complete pain in the neck and it would be nice if there was a more
> OS-local solution, but it's an option if all else fails.

I'll try to get the time to do some more investigation on this tonight
(Swedish time) and get back to you with more info.

Thanks for the help so far,
Ulf