On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:04 PM, djan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm following along with djangobook.com, and I have a problem in
> chapter 5 that I cannot resolve. I am using OpenSuSE-11.0, Python
> 2.5.2, sqlite3-3.5.7-17.1 (and incidentally, this same error occurs
> with MySQL).

> TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'maxlength'

The Django book is based on Django Version 0.96; we have since
released Version 1.0, which introduced a few backwards
incompatibilities - in this case, the 'maxlength' was renamed to
'max_length' for consistency with other parts of Django.

A guide to porting 0.96 applications to 1.0 can be found here:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.0-porting-guide/

A full list of backwards incompatibilities between version 0.96 and
1.0 can be found here:

http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/BackwardsIncompatibleChanges

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)