Thanks for the response Andy.

The code does work fine in the interpreter.  It's when the code is
called from a web page where it throws an error.  I know it has
something to do with unicode but I can't understand why os.stat is
behaving differently.  To test from a view:

Relevant URL in urls.py
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/published/www/django/catalog/music# grep demo
urls.py
    (r'^demo/$', 'music.views.demo'),

Call to checkpath from views.py

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/published/www/django/catalog/music# head -16
views.py
import django.shortcuts as shortcuts
from django.template import RequestContext
from django.http import HttpResponseRedirect
from django.contrib.contenttypes.models import ContentType
import models
import music.demo

def demo(request):
        music.demo.checkpath()
        return HttpResponseRedirect('http://google.com')

And the error (via http://domain.tld/demo)

Exception Type:         UnicodeEncodeError
Exception Value:

'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf3' in position 35: ordinal
not in range(128)

Exception Location:     /usr/lib/python2.5/posixpath.py in exists, line
171
Python Executable:      /usr/bin/python
Python Version:         2.5.2

Traceback:
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py"
in get_response
  86.                 response = callback(request, *callback_args,
**callback_kwargs)
File "/home/published/www/django/catalog/music/views.py" in demo
  14.   music.demo.checkpath()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/posixpath.py" in exists
  171.         st = os.stat(path)

Exception Type: UnicodeEncodeError at /demo/