Solved.

I had to surround my folderpath field with smart_str according to
http://docs.djangobrasil.org/ref/unicode.html#ref-unicode

The only change needed in the example was on the last line:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/published/www/django/catalog/music# cat demo.py

import os
import music.models as model
import django.utils.encoding encode

def checkpath():
        album = model.Album.objects.get(slug='como-al-agua')

        return os.path.exists(encode.smart_str(album.folderpath))

I appreciate your time in helping me resolve this.  Maybe this post
will help someone else who runs into this problem.