Thank you I tried that and I still get the same error.

I spent a little more time looking at PIL / Image.py and cleaning up
the code. From what I can tell the Image.open method is having trouble
with what I am passing to it.

def resize_image(file, size=(50, 50)):
    from PIL import Image
    from cStringIO import StringIO
    from django.core.files.base import ContentFile

    image_data = StringIO(file.read())

    ### this line below is where the issue is ###
    image = Image.open(image_data)

    if image.mode not in ('L', 'RGB'):
        image = image.convert('RGB')
    image.thumbnail(size, Image.ANTIALIAS)
    o = StringIO()
    image.save(o, "JPEG")
    return  ContentFile(o.getvalue())

This is how I call it:
            picture = pform.cleaned_data['picture']
            thumbnail_content = resize_image(picture)

Thank you for looking at this.